Your life is like a book where you turn a page every day as you awaken. Each page is to be savored because you may not finish the book and it would be in your best interest to enjoy each page that you read. Waiting until the book is finished to be grateful would be a shame and a waste of your time.
Each day you turn another page and you have another opportunity to be alive, to enjoy the time you have on this earth. Should you choose to spend your time complaining and wishing for something more you will have wasted that day. Your life unfolds minute to minute, enjoy the journey wherever it takes you. Remember you can’t go back and say I wish I would have gone in this direction or that direction. You are where you are for a reason because this is where your path has led you.
A couple years ago I started writing in a journal three to five things I am grateful for every morning. It has become a ritual over time, that is followed by some yoga and meditation. Starting each day feeling grateful for what you have will allow you to serve others, instead of having feelings of resentment, anger, or another ego manifestation.
Today I am grateful for?
- My family who may not be perfect, but are always my top priority
- My work that provides challenges and financial rewards
- My writing, which is a therapy for me and hopefully benefits others
- My yoga and meditation practices that make me feel good and calm my mind
- Waking up today and having another opportunity to enjoy each moment as it unfolds
Being grateful has many benefits including:
- When you are grateful for what you have feelings of entitlement and envy melt away
- When you are grateful for the people in your life you will treat them better and be less critical of their behavior
- When you are grateful for your dwelling and having food to eat you will crave less and feel more satisfied
- When you are grateful for what you have you will have a tendency to serve or give back in appreciation versus expecting something
- When you are grateful you will feel better and be more positive
Of course, I could go on and on, but you get the point by now that a grateful practice has too many benefits to not incorporate into your daily routine.
If you would like to support this blog, check out the awesome selection of eBooks at:
Mind, Body, Spirit books at eBooks.com
If eBooks aren’t your thing, check out my Resources page for additional ways to support this blog.
Visit my other blog Inspirational Book Reviews where I review some incredible literature.