It’s been a while since I’ve written anything for this blog. I’m not sure why, but it is what it is as they say. I have written about being grateful and actually writing it down in the past, although my own adherence to this advice was somewhat intermittent at best, until about 6 months ago. I broke down and bought a journal partly because I had always read that hand writing things down has more of an impact than typing them. For me that seemed to ring true. So everyday or almost everyday I get up early and at about 5:00 a.m. I start writing in my journal what I am grateful for and then I add a little thing called Decree to the Universe.
The Decree to the Universe is to a large degree a realization that your grateful practice is providing you. It may take the form of an affirmation or at least a way of being, even if it only lasts for the day ahead of you.
Sometimes I write very conventional statements of being grateful for things like my family or my home, and sometimes very simple things like this cup of coffee is pretty damn good. At other times I write what I think I am becoming. All of this journaling takes about 10 minutes of your time. Write down what you are grateful for and then some Decree to the Universe; read it back to yourself slowly so that you really feel it.
One of the things I noticed is that all the benefits I list below, did not happen for me overnight. It seems like it took months to attain the full effect that a grateful practice can provide. Maybe I’m a bit slow, but in any case it appears that perseverance matters.
So why go to all this bother? Well there are a few good reasons:
- It’s hard to start your day as an asshole if you just listed a number of things you are grateful for.
- It begins to distance you from the woe is me and isn’t this world unfair way of thinking.
- You start appreciating even the little things more intensely and you really start appreciating the people around you.
- It makes you more focused on who you really are or who you should be than the pain ass that you can be even to people very close to you.
- You eventually become more mindful, which ultimately results in you becoming a happier person.
Just a note here, there is really no need to buy some special grateful journal any decent journal with lines on it will do the trick.
Here is an example from my journal this morning. I may post more in the future.