Often we think we need to make radical changes in our lives to create success, when in reality it is the little incremental changes that make the biggest difference. You don’t need to quit your job, abandon everything you know, or put your financial future at risk; you just need to start making changes in your behavior one step at a time.
What is Success?
When I talk about success I’m not limiting it to financial gain, but that will certainly be one measure. You might also define success in terms or relationships, health, skills, or peace of mind just to name a few. Another way to look at success is personal growth. Successful people are people that are always growing. Personal growth provides satisfaction and happiness, which ignites a need for more growth. Face it if you are not growing as an individual you are standing still and nothing changes.
Ways to be more successful
Think of how much you could achieve if each month you made one little change in your behavior. Each time you made one of these seemingly insignificant changes they would begin to propel you towards achieving your goals. One of the reasons you will achieve your goals is that you are building self discipline with each change. Let’s take a look look at some examples:
- I get up an hour earlier to perform my yoga practice
- I quit eating foods that contain high amounts of sugar
- I begin eating more fruits and vegetables
- I quit drinking alcoholic beverages (OK not such a small thing)
- I start going to the health club and began lifting weights
- I begin studying for a certification related to my job
- I take a class on something I’m interested in
- I learned to play a musical instrument
- I read one new book a month on a topic that will change the way I think
Peace of mind
- I quit watching the news on TV
- I meditate for 10 – 15 minutes every day
- I start watching motivational videos on YouTube (Jim Rohn, Tony Robbins, Les Brown, Eric Thomas, Esther Hicks, Wayne Dyer, or Mel Robbins)
- I started a blog to write about something I am interested in, not for other people but for myself
Don’t limit yourself
While I mentioned you can chose one thing each month to change, there is really no limit. Let’s take watching the news in the morning. What a horrific way to start your day. You are feeding your mind politics, tragedy, pain, suffering, and tons of negative things and getting little in return. So instead of watching the news, roll out your yoga mat, and while doing your routine listen to or watch something inspirational on YouTube. Now you have accomplished three things in the same amount of time and do this every day and your whole life begins to change.
We improve by making changes, some small, some bigger, but by changing. As we make these changes we are creating self discipline and it is this very fact that will lead us to great success however you define it.
Choose that one thing today that will move you forward.